February 23, 2021 – Governor Hogan Press Conference
- Maryland is partnering with UMD and JHU to double our sequencing volume. Will be one of the strongest surveillance programs in the nation and the world.
- 99.6% of first doses delivered to vaccinators administered.
- 29,096 average shots administered per day.
- State is monitoring and expanding screening for the South African, UK and Brazilian variants of the virus in Maryland, variants do tend to be more contagious.
Safely Reopening Schools
- Nearly every school system reopening or planning to reopen for in-person instruction in March.
- State providing additional funding, 1 million tests, unlimited supply of PPE.
- New executive order clarifies that masks are required for anyone over the age of 5 in any area of school setting where interaction with others is likely.
Long Term/Congregate Settings
- Vaccines offered to every nursing home resident and employee.
- Clinics at assisted living facilities are nearly complete.
- Clinics at independent living facilities are underway.
M&T Bank Site
- 55,000 square foot vaccination site.
- More than 10,000 appointments made.
- Will be administering 2,000 shots per day by next week.
Southern Maryland Mass Vaccination Site
- Located at the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs stadium.
- Opening no later than March 11th.
- Supported by FEMA.
- New statewide system launching in March to pre-register for state-run mass vaccination sites.
White House Call
- Continuing to press for more doses to be produced and distributed.
- Anticipating the possibility of Johnson & Johnson allocations as early as next week.
- No one can charge you for a vaccine or a vaccination.
- If you suspect fraudulent activity, notify law enforcement immediately.